dorkbot3 this Thursday Sept. 14

David Nunez
dorkbot austin is back (always 2nd Thursday of the month) and it is
going to be mindblowing this week!

dorkbot3
People Doing Strange Things with Electricity... in Austin.
September 14 , 2006 - 8:00PM
Cafe Mundi <http://www.cafemundi.com>, 1704 East 5th St.

A Free, Kid-Friendly Event
http://www.dorkbot.org/dorkbotaustin

Dorks on Deck:
1. Zack Booth Simpson - <http://mine-control.com/>
2. Jerry Chamkis and his you-have-to-see-it-to-believe-it Kosmophone
<http://www.kosmophone.com>
3. SFS TV <http://www.sfstvvod.com/>
4. Greg Most of Waxploitation! DJs

Come see / take home ("suggested donation of $5" and by "suggested
donation," we mean "the minimum amount you will most certainly beg to
pay") the incredible and OFFICIALLY LIMITED EDITION dorkbotaustin
poster by artist Noel Waggener of subCulture Press
([hidden email])

Also, by popular request, we'll be presenting Dorkbot in SUPER HAPPY
JUMBOTRON 3000!*!*!*!  (i.e. have a video camera pointed at the
projects so everyone in the back can see better)

Some other announcements:

1. Desperately seeking Girl Dorks (dorkettes?  femdorks? or just
dorks? hrmmm) to present at October's dorkbot4 (October 12, 2006).
Email [hidden email]
2. Please vote for Dorkbot as a SxSW-Interactive topic - see below
3. We'll be doing a dorkbot presentation at the Community Technology
and Telecommunications Commission meeting this Wednesday at City Hall
<http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/agenda/2006/cttc_091306.htm>; these are
open meetings, so come show your love!!
4. Get ready for One Web Day September 22, 2006 <http://
www.onewebday.org/> This event explores how people are doing weird
things with electricity... on the Internet.
5. Immediately after dorkbot3, head over to the OFFICIAL Dorkbot
After Party (errr... actually it's the Austinist.com ACL Pre-party) @
Mohawk 912 Red River <http://escapeest.com/image/Flmis2_big.gif>

Can't wait to see you there!

(as always, email us back if you'd rather not get these offensive and
obnoxious email announcements)

=====

Hello friends,

I need your help with a fun side project that a few friends and I
launched.  It will only take a minute or two and it’ll help Austin
use technology in new, creative and educational ways.

As some of you know, I’m involved with the Austin arm of Dorkbot, a
free monthly showcase of people doing strange things with
electricity.  Three friends and I volunteer to give the stage to a
few brave souls who show off their homemade robots, Tesla Coils,
video games, Theremins and all sorts of other beautiful and bizarre
wonders of technology.  While most of this is just for fun, a couple
of our presentations have sparked commercial interest.  The Statesman
even ran a great piece on us and we’ve attracted up to 200 people to
our events, including, best of all, lots of kids who’re psyched to
see and touch some cool uses of technology.

So here’s where I need your help.  To help publicize Dorkbot we’ve
pitched a Dorkbot panel to SXSW Interactive, and panels are chosen by
popular vote.  I ask you to take a moment to visit SXSW’s website and
vote for our panel.  Please do it today.

While you’re at it, please also consider voting for another panel we
proposed, this one on manipulating the Nintendo DS (the new version
of the ubiquitous GameBoy) for fun, strange and potentially
profitable uses.  Like Dorkbot, this panel highlights and teaches
inviting ways to play with technology.

To vote, here’s all you do:
* Click here or paste this address in your browser: http://
2007.sxsw.com/interactive/panel_picker/
* On the left side under “1. Make Your Pick,” select “DIY/creativity”
from the pull-down menu.
* Scroll down to the fifth item, “I am Dorkbot” and click the “Pick
Me” button.
* “I am Dorkbot” will then appear in the middle column, “2. Order
Your Picks.”
* Next, go back to column on the left and select “gaming/virtual
worlds” from the pull-down menu.
* Toward the bottom you’ll see a panel called “Strange Brew:
Perverting the DS and Getting Paid For It.” Click on the “Pick Me”
button next to it and it will show up in the middle column.
* Feel free to browse and select other panels or just submit those two.
* When you’re ready to vote, enter your name and email and hit the
“Cast Your Vote” button in the right-side column, “3. Cast Your Vote.”
That’s it!  You’re done.

Remember, anyone can vote, although your vote receives a little extra
weight if you have attended the festival before.  Please take a
minute to visit the site today, cast your vote for these two panels
and do a little something to help keep Austin’s technology weird.

And pass this request on to any likeminded friends.

Many thanks,

P.S. Here’s the July 8 Austin American-Statesman article on Dorkbot:
     http://www.statesman.com/search/content/life/stories/other/
07/8dorkbot.html .

.........dorkbot: people doing strange things with electricity..........