Dorkbot SXSW Happenings!

-dustin younse-
Dorks and dorkettes!

The vernal equinox is on the horizon, but before we can enjoy the warm sunshine brought to our hemisphere by the shifting balance of power in the struggle against Australia, we must all survive the city-wide maelstrom that is South by South West. I am here to pass along what survival tips I can, before I buckle up my go-bag and head out into the heavily touristed wilderness.

While we are not putting on a full fledged Dorkbot event this year, we are helping with several and would like to shout out a few others!

Our dear friends at SXSW Create are putting together an even bigger and better three day event. It is free and totally open to the public, located this year at the City Terrace of the Long Center. We’ll be well represented by former presenters Matthew Steinke of the Robot Group (http://www.matthewsteinke.com/) and the green-thumbed cyborgs from Robot Gardener (http://robotgardener.com). Full details available at http://sxsw.com/interactive/create.

As part of SXSW Create, a new event known as Stage Two is taking place on Sunday afternoon, March 9th from 2p - 6p. This event requires an RSVP, available at http://stagetwo.splashthat.com, however associating yourself with the fine corporation of Dorkbot Austin on the RSVP form will get you in the door. If, for some reason, it doesn’t, let us know so we can sic our Army surplus Jaeger robot on them. There are a bunch of big industry names showing up, but the biggest and most exciting is easily our very own Mickey Delp of Delptronics fame. Woooo!

A piece of shameless self-and-other-promotion: A group of library dorks from Harvard are traveling down with their Labrary (http://labrary.bike - how’s that for a domain name?), a popup library-on-a-bike, and setting up shop at the O. Henry Museum across from the Austin Convention Center. They’ll be there for the whole weekend, helping to show people just how rad a library can be in the 21st century. And! If my development skills don’t fail me, there will be a mechanical typewriter I’ve taught some new tricks for you guys to play with.

If you feel the need to detox from the exposure to industry types between Interactive and Music, our good friends at Nerd Nite have announced (https://twitter.com/nerdniteaustin/status/440930935307894785) their next event to be held Tuesday, March 12, at Central Market on North Lamar. Details to come, but I mean, it’s Nerd Nite. You know you should be there.

For those looking to give back, our friends at R/GA are putting on a Demo Day for their Connected Devices Accelerator (http://rgaaccelerator.com/connecteddevices/) and looking for a few good dorks and dorkettes to help man the battle stations as volunteers. Keep an eye on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/dorkbotatx/) for contact info on this volunteer opportunity.

And of course, keep your ears low to the keyboard, the Dorkbot you know and love will be back soon, and in full force!

Ever your humble overlord,

-dustin younse-

.........dorkbot: people doing strange things with electricity..........
unsubscribe / change mailing list settings
</a>