Dorkbot - Opportunity to geek out TONIGHT through this weekend

Dorkbot - Opportunity to geek out TONIGHT through this weekend

David Nunez
Thank you to all that came out to our last dorkbot!

Here's a reminder for an event tonight that might inspire you to MAKE
something new this weekend!

The original press release is below and the Austinist wrote up
something as well <http://www.austinist.com/archives/2006/11/16/
dorkbots_and_playwrights_dork_this.php>

Come tonight to Mundi to check out the details...

**********************
PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release: October 30, 2006
Media Contact: Christina J. Moore, [hidden email], 512-454-9727

WHO:
Austin Script Works and Dorkbot Austin

WHAT:
The Weekend Fling Playwriting and Dorkbot Challenge

WHEN:
Friday, November 17
6-8 PM
Café Mundi
1704 E 5th Street
ASW/Dorkbot Happy Hour
Ingredients Announced

Sunday, November 19
5:30 PM
Vortex Theater
2307 Manor Rd
ASW Salon
FREE Admission
Wine, beer, sodas and snacks available for purchase

ADDITIONAL INFO:
WHAT CAN YOU MAKE IN 48 HOURS?
The AUSTIN SCRIPT WORKS AND DORKBOT CHALLENGE
NOVEMBER 17-19, 2006

Austin Script Works, the regional advocate for playwright and new
play development, and Dorkbot-Austin, a community of artists and
inventors doing strange things with electricity, hereby issue an
unprecedented challenge:

Dork This.

Starting Friday, November 17, at 6 PM, Austin Script Works members
and area techno-artists will have 48 hours to write a 10 minute play
or prototype a new dork creation. No matter who they are or what they
make, they will somehow incorporate three “ingredients” that will be
announced that day. On Sunday, November 19 at 5:30 PM, they will
arrive at the Vortex Theater to show off their sizzling new projects.

Playwrights. Dorks. It’s a techno-theatrical, Franken-Gertrude Stein-
ian, melding of the minds collaboration. And totally Austin.

“Every year, Austin Script Works offers a program called the Weekend
Fling to member playwrights,” explains Artistic Director C. Denby
Swanson. “They start on a Friday night and have 48 hours to write a
10 minute play in response to a list of three special ‘ingredients,’
which are usually provided by guest artists from around the country.
Last year, we wrote 5-minute radio plays, which we produced with live
foley sound during FronteraFest 2006. This year, we decided that it
would be fun to make the same program as local and new and fresh as
possible. And we decided to partner with other folks who make stuff.”

David Nunez, one of the instigators behind Dorkbot-Austin, agrees
that this event will drive amazing work, “Dorkbot is all about what
happens when people choose to tear their stuff apart and put it back
together in new and beautifully strange ways.  We’re mad, renegade
makers that sometimes have so many wildly divergent ideas that we
struggle to get stuff done and out of our garage studios.
Constraints, like deadlines or being forced to use a specific set of
ingredients, create a focusing energy that fires up our engines of
ingenuity.  Creating alongside the playwrights during the Weekend
Fling is exactly in that spirit of collaboration – we find those
unique, untried combinations, add heat, and stand back as we plug in
our creations.  We want to be cheering as our robots and plays all
come alive.”

Each short play and each dork invention has to somehow include the
three “ingredients,” which will be announced on November 17 at a
kickoff happy hour at Café Mundi. There are no other requirements for
subject matter or theme – and playwrights and makers are encouraged
to be as imaginative and expressive as possible, and to use the
ingredients in unexpected ways. A show and tell will happen during
the regular monthly Austin Script Works Salon, Sunday November 19 at
the Vortex Theater, 5:30 PM. Playwrights should bring copies of their
script; Dorks should bring prototypes of their interactive or kinetic
art, machines, and robots.

In March 2007, Austin Script Works and Dorkbot-Austin will produce
8-10 of the short plays in a festival of new work called Out of Ink,
which will also feature the inventions, potentially as set pieces or
strange characters or installations. “We expect that these new plays
and dork creations will be presented together in some thrilling and
electrifying and Austin-tatious combination,” says Swanson.

Friday, November 17
6-8 PM
Café Mundi
1704 E 5th Street
ASW/Dorkbot Happy Hour
Ingredients Announced

Sunday, November 19
5:30 PM
Vortex Theater
2307 Manor Rd
ASW Salon
FREE Admission
Wine, beer, sodas and snacks available for purchase

The events are free and open to the general public. However,
playwrights must be members of Austin Script Works to participate in
this event by writing a new play. New members can join at
www.scriptworks.org.

Makers need to register through Dorkbot at www.dorkbot.org/
dorkbotaustin.

ABOUT AUSTIN SCRIPT WORKS
Austin Script Works is a playwright-driven organization that seeks to
promote the craft of dramatic writing and protect the writer's
integrity by encouraging playwright initiative and harnessing
collective potential. ASW is funded in part by the City of Austin
through the Cultural Arts Division and by a grant from the Texas
Commission on the Arts, and individual donors. For more information
about Austin Script Works call 512-454-9727 or email:
[hidden email]

ABOUT DORKBOT
dorkbot is a monthly meeting of artists (sound/image/movement/
whatever), hackers, designers, engineers, students and other
interested parties who are involved in the creation of electronic art
(in the broadest sense of the term). Dorkbot was started in New York
in 2000 by douglas irving repetto and has since spread to over 40
cities.   The Austin chapter is one of the largest in the world.
Events are held on the second Thursday of every month at various
venues in Austin. For more information visit their website at http://
.........dorkbot: people doing strange things with electricity..........