Austin Dorkbot at 2009 sxsw

Nick Pietraniec-3
Hi Everyone,

For the past few years, we've hosted a huge dorkbot event during SXSW interactive in brush square park just east of the convention center.  We've drawn some pretty strong crowds (over 1300 last year).  If you missed them, we have a lot of photos and press linked on the dorkbotaustin blog

http://blog.dorkbotaustin.org/2007/03/23/dorkbot6-wrapup/

http://www.dorkbotaustin.org/meetings/dorkbot13
http://blog.dorkbotaustin.org/2008/03/26/more-dorkbot-13-coverage/
http://blog.dorkbotaustin.org/2008/03/16/dorkbot-sxsw-coverage-on-g4tv/
http://blog.dorkbotaustin.org/2008/03/12/dorkbot13-at-sxsw-coverage/

A lot of folks have asked if we were hosting an event again this year.  We've been meeting and talking to a lot of people about potential venues and options for a 2009 event but nothing has (yet) quite panned out as we'd hoped.  At this point it looks like we still have the option of brush square park but finding sponsors to help pay for tent & table rental has been a little more difficult this year than in years past.

Now - in my mind, austin dorkbot's first mission is bringing dorkbot-minded people together to meet, collaborate, and, well, show off our tesla coils and blood cannons.  Putting on a great show was never our primary goal, but I don't know anyone who went to one of the SXSW events and didn't have a good time (the beer might have helped).  What I'm trying to say is that (while it would be unfortunate) if we don't end up having a SXSW event this year, nothing is stopping us from continuing our regular, unreliant-on-dealing-with-renting-stuff events that we've had at places like Cafe Mundi and UT.  That being said, everyone enjoys a party, so I thought I'd take one last stab at a SXSW event and solicit the list of sponsorship leads.

If you or someone you know might be interested in sponsoring the austin-dorkbot sxsw event, let us know at [hidden email]  We've been a pretty visible event downtown during sxsw interactive the past few years, so it's a great opportunity for some exposure for the right company.  We're looking for a fairly small amount of money as well, sxsw has given us a discount on tent rental and tables are relatively cheap.  Dorkbot SXSW is, in fact, one of the more successful recurring events at SXSW Interactive.  In years past, lines wrapped around the block to get in, and each event garnered local, national and international press from the likes of the BBC, NPR, G4TV, the Austin American-Statesman, and KUT.  It doesn’t hurt that Dorkbot SXSW takes place immediately outside the convention center, so folks pouring out of the conference spill right into our event.

Typically sponsoring SXSW events is no cheap affair because these events garner so much attention and press.  SXSW loves Dorkbot, though, and generously agreed to co-sponsor our event, which lowers our sponsorship fees considerably.  As a volunteer-driven, grassroots organization, Dorkbot isn’t too interested in touting itself.  It just so happens we’ve hosted one of the most popular SXSW Interactive events for the last two years.

You or your company, on the other hand, may want to promote itself to the public, your clients, or your employees.  Dorkbot SXSW could be your vehicle to do just that.  And all at a cost far less than other SXSW events.  Contact us if you're interested in more details.

If you don't know of anyone who might be able to sponsor but still want to help out we've got a bunch of t-shirts left over from last year's event

http://www.dorkbotaustin.org/shirts

If you have any questions or comments on the SXSW event, let us know by next weekend.  At that point we're going to try and decide whether we want to move forward with an event at sxsw in March or if we want to move on to an April event.

Thanks!

-Nick
.........dorkbot: people doing strange things with electricity..........